Your thoughts have a lot of power. They can influence your emotions and behavior. If you think negative thoughts, you will likely feel negative emotions such as sadness, anxiety, and anger. These negative emotions can lead to negative behaviors, such as procrastination and self-sabotage.
On the other hand, if you think positive thoughts, you will likely feel positive emotions such as happiness, joy, and love. These positive emotions can lead to positive behaviors, such as taking action and being productive.
Positive thinking is also known as an optimistic attitude. It is a way of looking at the bright side of things and expecting good results. Positive thinking has many benefits and can help you achieve success in life.
As per Jonah Engler, some benefits of positive thinking include:
- Increased happiness
- Improved health
- Better relationships
- Greater success in life
- Improved mental and physical well-being
Methods of Practicing Positive Thinking
According to Jonah Engler, the good news is that positive thinking is a habit that can be learned with practice.
- Be aware of your thoughts: Pay attention to your thoughts and what you tell yourself. If you notice that you are having negative thoughts, make a conscious effort to change them to positive ones.
- Reframe your negative thoughts: When you have a negative thought, try to reframe it in a positive light. For example, if you are worried about failing a test, tell yourself that you will do your best and be prepared.
- Be grateful: One of the best ways to become more positive is to focus on the things you are grateful for in life. Every day, make a list of things you are thankful for. This could include your family, friends, health, job, etc.
- Practice mindfulness: Mindfulness is the practice of being present in the moment and focusing on your breath. When you are mindful, you are not dwelling on past events or worrying about future ones. Mindfulness can help quiet the negative voice in your head and allow you to focus on the present moment.
- Surround yourself with positive people: The people you spend time with can significantly impact your attitude and outlook on life. Spend time with positive, upbeat people who will support your positive thinking.
Finding The Silver Lining
According to Jonah Engler, it can be challenging to look for the silver lining, especially when life gets tough. But by being conscious and taking the following steps, you can look for the positives among the negatives.
- Acknowledge your negative thoughts: Don’t try to push away your negative thoughts. Instead, acknowledge them and allow yourself to feel the emotions you are experiencing.
- Find a positive outlet: When you are feeling down, do something that makes you happy. This could include reading, listening to music, spending time with friends or family, or doing an activity you enjoy.
- Be patient: Difficult times don’t last forever. Remind yourself that this is just a phase that will eventually end.
- Help others: When you are helping others, it can take your focus off of your problems and make you feel good. Find a way to help someone else, even if it’s just a simple act of kindness.
Handling Negative Thoughts
Negative thoughts can put you down in no time. Jonah Engler recommends taking the following steps to combat them.
- Recognize your negative thoughts: The first step to changing your thoughts is to become aware of when you are thinking negatively.
- Reframe your negative thoughts: Once you recognize your negative thoughts, try to reframe them in a more positive light. For example, instead of thinking, “I’m such a failure,” tell yourself, “I’m doing the best I can.”
- Practice positive affirmations: Positive affirmations are short, positive statements you repeat to yourself. They help to counter your negative thoughts and boost your self-confidence.
- Spend time with positive people: Spending time with positive people can help to improve your mood and outlook on life.
Though it may seem difficult to remain positive in the face of difficulty or negativity, there are many ways to stay upbeat and optimistic. By practicing mindfulness, being grateful, and surrounding yourself with positive people, you can maintain a positive attitude even during tough times.
If you find that your negative thoughts are getting the best of you, try using some tips Jonah Engler has provided to help overcome them. Remember that life can be challenging at times but also full of happiness and joy.